Tiramisu is the king of coffee desserts. What makes tiramisu so great is that it’s light and not too sweet. It practically melts in your mouth and doesn’t take up much room in your stomach. Tiramisu has several wonderful complimentary flavors. And best of all it’s Italian.
My sister Karen is one of Wisconsin’s premier chefs. She tells me that using super fresh, super strong coffee is the key to making awesome Tiramisu. So, she made me a deal, if I made the coffee, then she’d make her, nearly world famous, Tiramisu – The King of Coffee Desserts. Don’t ask me why, but most desserts that call for coffee use, God forbid, instant coffee. There’s a lot of debate in Christian circles regarding the “unpardonable sin”. Well, I can tell you for certain, the unpardonable sin is using instant coffee for anything!
As a master coffee roaster, I knew exactly how to make super fresh and super strong coffee. Here’s what I did. I used the AeroPress with 4 times the amount of finely ground coffee. This coffee is so strong and so thick and yet so smooth that you practically have to use a spatula (only slightly kidding).
- 2/3 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 16 oz. cream cheese (softened)
- 3 oz. grated Semi-sweet Chocolate
- 1 ½ Cup Whipping Cream
- 2 Packages fresh lady fingers (soft not hard, usually refrigerated, sometimes frozen, but definitely soft)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ pint raspberries (fresh)
- ½ cup Kahlua
- 2/3 cut extra strong coffee (may the fleas of a 1,000 camels fester in your armpits if you use instant coffee)
- 2 Tablespoons fudge ice cream topping
- Whip cream and place in refrigerator
- Mix coffee with Kahlua, set aside
- In mixer, mix cream cheese, add powdered sugar, vanilla, 2 Tablespoons of Kahlua mixture and most of the graded chocolate (reserve 2 Tablespoons of graded chocolate for top)
- Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture
- Split the lady fingers lengthwise. In a glass 8×11 baking dish, put one layer of split lady fingers.
- Brush the lady fingers generously with Kahlua & coffee mixture
- Spread ½ of the cream cheese mixture over the lady fingers.
- Set 9 raspberries aside for the topping, then put half of the remaining fresh raspberries over the cream cheese mixture
- Put down another layer of lady fingers, then Kahlua/Coffee mixture, then cream cheese mixture, then the other half of the raspberries.
- Put a dusting of grated chocolate over the top
- Pipe a swirl of whip cream on each piece and place a raspberry on the swirl
- Drizzle with fudge topping
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours